Saturday, August 20, 2011

Having Lice for a Minute

     So, I haven't told this story yet, but it just reaffirms my hatred of all things educational.  (Please see my 5 past posts about "Hatred of all Things... Educational" for some insight to my opinion about the North Carolina school system.) 
     Teagan's school had scheduled for his class to attend a ball game of the local baseball team.  Teagan had seen them before, but that was before they changed their name from the Warthogs to the Dash, and before they built the new, fancy stadium, so he was really looking forward to going, for the past two months.
     So, that morning, as we were getting ready, Teagan went into the backyard to play, which wasn't usual for him.  We don't let him play outside alone, because of the type of neighborhood we live in.  It's just not safe, and you know how protective I am of him.  He climbed into his daddy's truck, which was covered in dirt and debris, because his daddy had cleaned out the gutters the day before, and hadn't had a chance to rinse off his truck. 
     Anyway, so we took Teagan to school as normal, and his dad and I arrived back at home around 8:30am.  At 8:45am, his school calls to inform me that Teagan is "complaining about his head itching and has black specks in his hair that looks like lice eggs, but there were no visible bugs." 
     Now, for those of you who have had lice as a child or ever dug lice out of a child's hair, you know that lice eggs are white, and if there are eggs, there are bugs.  Simple as that.  So these black specks were obviously dirt from the truck. 
     So, I go to the school with his daddy, and we look over him thoroughly, but at the same time, I am telling the lady who called that it's just dirt from playing around his daddy's truck and that lice eggs are white not black, (I honestly have no idea who this woman is, but she annoys me at least once a week).  And to boot, one of these "specks" was blue.  They have Smurf Lice now?  Seriously.  She explains that she can't put the other children at risk (of what?  Catching dirt specks?  OMG), and that he has to go home.  Well, that's total BS.  So I tell her, if I get him looked at by his pediatrician, and they say that he does not have lice (which I knew damn well he didn't), can he still go to the ballgame?  She said he could, but only with a doctor's note. 
     So, here I am, it's 9:15am, trying to get Teagan into his pediatrician's office well before noon, because that is when the bus would leave for the ballgame, and also dropping his daddy off for his appointment.  We got into the pediatrician's office for a 10am, bless them (Ford, Simpson, Lively, & Rice Pediatrics if you are in the Winston-Salem area), and I tell the woeful story about morons, having lice for a minute, and how ignorance is bliss.  And the verdict is... No lice.  Duh!
     So, we rush back to the school, I take him to class, I hand the teacher the doctor's note with a look that would melt lava, and he went to the ballgame.  Freaking seriously.  Educate yourself if you are worried about childhood diseases and epidemics.  I hate the school system.

No comments: