Friday, April 15, 2011

Autism - Take 1

     So, obviously new to blogging, but thought it might be a good idea to start putting some thoughts out there for others who may be suffering as our family does.  Obviously, from the title of this blog, we are a family affected by Autism, among other things... 
     I guess I should start from the beginning.  I never wanted children.  I had been a babysitter and nanny since the age of 15, and though I loved other people's children, I didn't want any of my own.  However, once I met my husband, that all seemed to change.  We got married, and 1 1/2 months after our wedding, we were conceiving.  Though I never wanted children, I could never imagine my life without our special little guy, Teagan.
     Teagan was born two weeks early because of complications during pregnancy.  Four months after, he was diagnosed with Infant Torticollis.  Infant Torticollis is defined as, "...prolonged tightening (contraction) of the neck muscles that causes the head to turn to one side."  http://www.ptworkingforyou.com/tort.html  After six months of physical therapy, all was well.  However... when at nearly two years of age, he still was not crawling, we knew something else was wrong.  He was also not speaking.  Eventually the crawling turned into running in a short period of time, but it took six months of speech therapy to go from saying three words, "mama", "dada" and "peas" for please, to speaking like a normally developed three year old. 
     During all this time, we were noticing something else going on with Teagan.  He absolutely loved The Wiggles.  But everytime he would watch one of their videos, something strange would happen, and it appeared he was listening to someone speak in his ear, while his eyes would roll up into his head.  Obviously, we had MRI's and other scans done, but nothing came of them.  To this day, we are still trying to get these diagnosed, but from the research I have done, I have come to the conclusion that these are a type of epileptic seizure induced by music.  There is such a thing called musicogenic epilepsy, but we have not been able to get them diagnosed.  Either way, when he has these episodes, they are always induced by music, which is worrisome, because when he is older and driving a car, it could pose life-threatening.
     Teagan was diagnosed with severe Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) at the age of 3.  And believe me when I say severe... the doctor said it was the most severe case she had ever seen in a 3 year old.  Cue the energizer bunny.  On to age 4, when he was diagnosed with high-functioning Autism.  At this point in our lives, our only exposure to Autism was from the movie Rainman.  Obviously, my son is nothing like that man portrayed in the movie, but at the time, we were totally freaking out, wondering how we would be able to deal with this new diagnosis.  I have to say that we are very, very, VERY fortunate that Teagan is high-functioning.  I have met other families who were not so fortunate, and I cannot imagine not being able to hear those precious words, "I love you", spill from his sweet lips. 
     At the age of 5, Teagan was diagnosed with Oppositional-Defiant Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, and Central Auditory Processing Disorder.  For those who do not know what these are, I will briefly explain each.  Oppositional-Defiant Disorder (ODD) is "... an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interferes with the youngster’s day to day functioning". http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Children+with+Oppositional+Defiant+Disorder&section=Facts+for+Families  Sensory Processing Disorder has many names; Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Sensory Integration Disorder, etc..., and it is defined as "...the way the nervous system receives messages from the senses and turns them into appropriate motor and behavioral responses". http://www.sinetwork.org/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html   By the way, this website has an awesome book available in libraries that really goes into detail about the day-to-day rituals children go through in order to avoid overstimulation from sensory issues.  Teagan is affected by sound, sight, and textures of clothing, food, etc.  Central Auditory Processing Disorder is "...an umbrella term for a variety of disorders that affect the way the brain processes auditory information. It is not a sensory (inner ear) hearing impairment; individuals with APD usually have normal peripheral hearing ability. However, they cannot process the information they hear in the same way as others do, which leads to difficulties in recognizing and interpreting sounds, especially the sounds composing speech". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder
     Later on, he was also diagnosed with Separation Anxiety, which presents itself whenever we leave him at school.  He clings to us and gets visibly and physically upset, fearing we will not return for him, but we always have and always will.  He's had this since pre-k at the age of 3, and now at age 8, still has not outgrown it. 
     So, now that I've gotten all the history and diagnoses out of the way, I thought I'd explain why I started this blog.  It is one part raising awareness for Autism and the other diagnoses Teagan suffers from, one part sharing the daily struggles (or weekly, depending on when I have time to write) that we deal with, and one part the hilarity that is living with Autism.  Yes, you read that right.  There is great humor and entertainment when living with a child with Autism.  Teagan is just about the funniest child ever, and I hope you all enjoy the exploits I write about, as much as I enjoy living them... well, most of the time.  Don't forget that Autism is an ongoing battle and there are many, many struggles both inside and outside the home that we must face on a daily basis.  But, for the most part, it is enjoyable having a child like Teagan, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

4 comments:

Traci Davis said...

Please keep me posted when you blog more. I have a son with High Functioning Autism, and I would love to hear about the stories you have to share. With me, There are days when I don't know if I can handle any more, but then he does something so silly (or different) that I sit back and can't imagine what it would be like if he didn't have Autism. There are good days and bad days, but these are our children and if your anything like us, we wouldn't change it for the world. Great first time blog BTW!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I have a grandson who is 6 years old he also has Autism (also high functioning). He was diagnosed when he was about 2-3 years old. He is one of five children for my daughter. The other four are girls!!. He is the second oldest of the crew. And yes, there is "great humor and entertainment" when living with a child with Autism. It also takes "special" parents to deal with everyday struggles that comes with caring, loving, teaching, and nurturing a child that has Autism.
You seem to have a good grasp on all those things and look forward to reading more. I believe God has blessed you like he has my daughter because you are that "special" parent.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually learning a lot that I had no clue on!

Anonymous said...

I'm actually learning a lot that I had no clue on!